Would you like some Chlorox with your chocolate milk, sweetie?
Catherine Hayes Brown
Monday, July 14, 2014
I am an autism mom. I've officially held this title for two years, although it's really been 4 years since my sweet baby boy was born. As an autism mom, I am fiercely protective of my son. I am also his biggest advocate. As such, I have done oodles of research since his diagnosis and have come to the conclusion that autism is not something to be cured of. It's not a disease, not something to be eradicated. It's not polio or cancer.
Unfortunately, there are some in our greatly divided autism community that beg to differ. Some who are so desperate for a cure for the "disease" that they fall victim to latter day snake oil salesmen. One of the latest so-called "cures" is Chlorine Dioxide, aka MMS. This miracle treatment is touted as curing autism if you follow the directions correctly, which includes giving baths with it, having the child ingest it orally, and giving MMS enemas. The problem is, chlorine dioxide is bleach. Yep, good ole disinfecting bleach. CD does have legitimate uses, however none of them involve ingesting it. Some of the more interesting uses I've discovered in my research are to sterilize hospital equipment, remove bacteria from brewers yeast slurry, and killing anthrax spores. Yep, anthrax! It's labeled as an anti-anthrax pesticide by the EPA. The FDA has a warning about it.The CDC website has a fact sheet posted for CD, which gives instructions on how to treat hazardous exposure. Wikipedia has a comprehensive article about it, as does the EPA, OSHA, and WHO websites. The common theme in all of these articles is DON'T INGEST IT. I repeat DON'T INGEST IT.
So I imagine you are wondering, as am I, why someone would have their children ingest bleach. The proponents of the treatment downplay its harmful side effects which, by the way, include death. These modern snake oil salesmen, specifically one Kerri Rivera, prey on vulnerable parents who are desperate for their children to be "normal". And in turn, these parents commit what is tantamount to child abuse, and attempted murder, on the most vulnerable members of society, children who cannot speak for themselves. I don't think these parents realize or believe that they are poisoning their children. But much like dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit, they get sucked in by the false promise that it will cure their child's autism.
The proponents of this quack pseudomedicinal treatment must be stopped! Children are suffering irreparable harm, even dying, because of this treatment. These are children who oftentimes cannot verbalize for themselves. Put it this way, in simplistic terms, if I gave my 7 year old, who does not have autism, a cup of this crap to drink, he'd examine it, smell it, and say "No!" If I gave the same drink to my 4 year old, there is a high probability that he would drink it. Why? Because he has no sense of danger and does what he is told to do. Preying on vulnerable parents, convincing them to give these treatments to their more vulnerable children, is repugnant and criminal.
This is a message that must be brought to the masses. Most people outside the autism community have never heard of this "cure". Most don't even understand what autism really is about. But I would venture to say that 99.999% of the population understands what child abuse and attempted murder are. MMS treatment is indeed child abuse and, in many cases, attempted murder. AND IT MUST BE STOPPED!
****If you are having any problems commenting, please post this page's link to your Facebook Profile and message me at with what you would like to say and where you would like me to put your comment ****
Gregorio after a hard day of insulting people.