The Chemistry of Chlorine Dioxide by T. R. Âû
Cl2 + 2NaClO2 -> 2ClO2 + 2NaCl
Written Standard Meaning:
Dichloride +2 Sodiumchorine dioxide equals 2 molecules of chlorine dioxide (gas) and 2 molecules of table salt.
Explanation for all people:
The equation listed above is one of five ways to obtain Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2). Too many people seeing an equation like the one above think it is scary. It need not be, as of now. I am going to explain the following: 1. Why ordinary folks should not handle chlorine dioxide. 2. How Chlorine Dioxide is dangerous for consumption. 3. What to do if you do ingest, breathe, and/or have skin contact.
1. Why ordinary folks should not handle chlorine dioxide:
Chlorine Dioxide is unstable as a gas. That means it may ignite whilst under pressure, or with a little heat. It can't be transported due to its instability. When ClO2 is made, trained chemists will do all work in a labratory. It takes specialized equipment to create and extract the chlorine dioxide gas.
Another fact is when mixing the chlorine dioxide gas with cold water, unless the water is very cold, it may explode! If the water is to warm or hot, it may produce other dangerous products (Chloric Acid and Perchloric Acid [both are very unstable liquids]) that may kill you.
Here are a few facts many people will never be told...
Appearance: gas. Light sensitive.
Melting point: -74°F/-59°C
Boiling point: 10°C
Only trained persons should be working with this volitile and dangerous gas.
2. How Chlorine Dioxide is dangerous for consumption and other applications:
Now onto the topic of danger if ingested or contact via skin, eyes, and/or inhalation:
Skin contact: rash, itching, swelling, redness
Eye contact: redness and irritation
Ingested: it will destroy good bacteria in your GI tract, destroy red blood cells, diarrhea, dizziness, and other life threatening conditions.
Inhalation: pulmonary edema ( swelling of ones cardiovascular system).
3. What to do if you do ingest, breath, and/or have skin contact
skin: Brush off loose product. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water, then wash area with soap and water. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice for any adverse reactions.
EYES: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing the eye. Seek medical attention immediately.
INGESTION: Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person drink large quantities of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
Inhalation: If the person is not breathing, perform CPR. Also Call for an ambulance!
3 . Chlorine Dioxide and killing viruses
Claims that CD kills viruses and Bacteria are correct however, action of a chemical in a petri dish in a lab are very different to the actions of that same chemical within the human body. The human body is complex and if it were as simple as pumping the body full of one of the many substances known to kill viruses and bacteria the human race would be effectively disease free-which of course, we are not! Chemicals used to treat disease have been through rigourous clinical trails to ensure they are safe. CD is known to cause sever ill effects in humans and has not been tested for safety. The claims that Autism is cause by disease are unfounded.
****If you are having any problems commenting, please post this pages link to your Facebook Profile and message me at with what you would like to say and where you would like me to put your comment ****
Gregorio after a hard day of insulting people